Home / WorldTech / A city in Texas looks at a brain-eating amoeba in their water

A city in Texas looks at a brain-eating amoeba in their water



The histopathological features associated with a case of primary amoebic meningoencephalitis due to Naegleria fowleri parasites.

The histopathological features associated with a case of primary amoebic meningoencephalitis due to Naegleria fowleri Parasites.
photo:: CDC / Dr. Visvesvara

2020 is so far the year of novel coronavirus, Murder hornets, Causing climate change devastating hell and now: a brain-eating amoeba. Yes, you read that right.

On Saturday the City of Lake Jackson, Texas held one catastrophe Explanation after discovering the microscopic amoeba Naegleria fowleri in their water systems. Naegleria fowleri is common in warm fresh water – such as lakes, rivers, and hot springs – and in the soil Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The amoeba can cause a rare one Brain infection known as primary amoebic meningoencephalitis which almost always results in death.

In general, there are cases where water contaminated with the amoeba enters the body through the nose, according to the CDC. Once the amoeba is in the nose, it migrates to the brain and causes PAM. Oddly enough, the agency states that people cannot become infected by swallowing water contaminated with Naegleria fowleri.

The city learned something was wrong in early September when it learned of 6-year-old Josiah McIntyre’s hospitalization for Naegleria fowleri, who eventually died of the infection. His family suspected that he may have inhaled contaminated water from a splash guard in town or a hose in his home.

The officers immediately took action to investigate the matter. They closed the splash pad and tested the water for the amoeba. The test came back negative, but additional tests by the CDC at various points on water found three positive samples for Naegleria fowleri on Friday.

The positive samples were in the Splash Pad storage tank, a hydrant in a downtown cul-de-sac closest to the Splash Pad location, and in the hose bib in the 6-year-old boy’s house.

Josiah McIntyre’s grandmother, Natalie McIntyre, told the story Houston Chronicle On Saturday the family just wanted people to know that the amoeba was out there. The CDC states that PAM, the disease caused by Naegleria fowleri, is difficult to detect because it progresses so quickly that the diagnosis is usually made after death.

The Chronicle reports that Josiah McIntyre’s family said it was too late when doctors realized what was happening to him.

“If you’ve been or potentially exposed and you’re getting these symptoms, go to the hospital and let someone know,” said Natalie McIntyre.

After learning about the positive samples Friday, Texas state officials urged local water authorities to issue a “do not use water” notice for various cities, including Lake Jackson. On Saturday, the Texas Commission for Environmental Quality overturned the Lake Jackson recommendation and put one boil water Note that the city’s system has been flushed and sanitized.

State environmental quality officials said that boiling water makes drinking and cooking safe during the time of disinfection and flushing. For other purposes, such as bathing, showering, washing faces or swimming, the officers told people not to let water run up their noses.

On Sunday, Texas Governor Greg Abbott gave one state disaster declaration for Brazoria County, which includes Lake Jackson. Have state environmental quality officers groomed that Naegleria fowleri can be treated with “standard treatment and disinfection procedures”.

I think this is something? Ugh, 2020, just finished, please.




Source link