APPLE dropped an important note that the next iPhone may be the first to come without a charger in the box.
The company’s white wall plug has been included with every iPhone since 2007. According to recent rumors, it will be sold separately for the release of the iPhone 12, which is expected to hit the market next month.
The U.S. firm strongly implied it was headed in that direction on Tuesday when two new smartwatches were unveiled during an online event.
Apple announced that it has removed the USB adapter (which is the bit that plugs into the wall outlet) that is usually included in the timepiece packaging.
Citing environmental considerations, the company said the decision was part of its commitment to reduce packaging and waste.
“Sometimes it’s not what we do, but what we don’t do counts,” said Apple’s Lisa Jackson in a photo taken from its California headquarters.
“We know that customers have accumulated USB power supplies and that manufacturing millions of unneeded adapters uses resources and increases our carbon footprint.
“This year we’re removing the USB power adapter from the Apple Watch.”
The move makes the Apple Watch SE and the Series 6 on Friday the first Apple Watches to be delivered without a plug in the box.
The gizmos still come with a charging cable, but customers without an adapter will need to purchase one separately.
Apple charges up to £ 29 for USB adapters on their website.
The move will fuel rumors that Apple is also planning to toss the charger out of the iPhone 12’s box.
The whisper of the move came in June from trusted Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, who regularly announces the company’s plans long before they’re public.
In a letter to investors, Kuo suggested that Apple drop the accessories in order to keep the price of the iPhone 12 down.
The company is believed to be looking to ship the phone at a price similar to the iPhone 11, which hit shelves last year for £ 729 / $ 699.
Many iPhone users already have a handful of chargers and headphones lying around, so most won’t be missing out on the in-box devices.
It is also hoped that the move will shrink the packaging for the iPhone 12 to help curb the device’s environmental impact, Kuo said.
However, some have argued that requiring users to purchase accessories separately – which requires separate packaging – negates any reduction in waste.
Apple is expected to launch at least three new iPhone models in October – and maybe even four.
Given the trio were dubbed the iPhone 11 last year, it’s fair to assume we’ll get the iPhone 12 this year.
It is likely that we will see something along the lines of an iPhone 12, iPhone 12 Pro, and iPhone 12 Pro Max.
Apple has not confirmed when it will release its new phone or discussed what will be in the box. So take all rumors with a pinch of salt for the time being.
The Sun has asked Apple for a comment.
iPhone Tricks You Should Try Today
Here are some of the best …
- Enter cursor – Hold down the spacebar while typing to turn your keyboard into a trackpad, making it easier for you to move around words and sentences
- Close all Safari tabs – To do this all at once, just hold the overlapping squares in the lower right corner and press close all tabs
- Quickly delete many photos – Press and hold a photo and drag your finger diagonally in photos to select many pictures at once. Then click Delete
- Convert currency quickly – Swipe down from the top of your home screen (or swipe left to right on an iPhone X or later model), then tap the bar and enter a currency (e.g. $ 200) . The currency will automatically be converted to your local currency
- Check if a battery upgrade is required – The batteries in smartphones deteriorate over time. Just go to Settings> Battery> Battery Health and check the value for the maximum capacity. In general, a battery is considered worn when its capacity has dropped to 80%. When you’re down, you can buy a battery swap from Apple
- Move apps faster – Press and hold an app until it starts shaking, then tap (while still holding it) other apps to stack them so you can move them around more easily
The cheapest Apple Watch in years with fitness app, sleep trackers and more
Extinct cave bear found GANZ after frozen in Siberia for 30,000 years
HEAR US OUT
Amazing Apple Beats by Dre headphones deal brings the price down to just £ 59
PS5 price LEAKED as fear of shortage of next gen consoles grows
Strange images of a ‘UFO’ hovering over New Jersey drive alien hunters wild
In other news, this stunning iPhone 12 concept video could show off Apple’s secret design in advance.
Apple recently released a new “cheap” version of its iPhone SE.
The iPhone 12 could be the thinnest ever thanks to the new screen technology.
We pay for your stories! Do you have a story for the Sun Online Tech & Science team? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org