in 2018, Google Pay works without stores and restaurants sending your actual card number numbers. Essentially, your credit and debit card information is securely stored on Google’s servers. Instead of transferring your card numbers, Google Pay uses a token, known as a virtual account number, as a replacement.
To help you get started, I'll walk you through setting up and using Google Pay online, in stores and restaurants. I will also show you how to use it with Gmail and add loyalty memberships, transit passports and gift cards. If you want to follow step by step, watch the video below.
Set up Google Pay
First, you need to download the Google Pay app.
1. Download the app from the Google Play Store to install it.
2. Open the Google Pay app and tap the Getting Started button .
3. Then tap the Connect to Gmail button. A window will ask for your permission to give Google Pay access to the location of your device.
4. Google Pay wants to know your location so that you can be notified when you are in a location that accepts Google Pay or uses your customer cards. Tap the blue button Turn on at the bottom of the screen to use the search function.
5. There are four tabs at the bottom of the Google Pay app: Home, Payment, Passports and Sending. Go to the Payment tab and then tap the Add Payment Method button.
You can also start from the Home tab . Go to the Pay With Your Phone in Stores section and tap the blue Setup button. If you already have a card stored in your Google Account (possibly for the Google Play Store or another Google service), it offers to connect this credit or debit card to the Google Pay app on your phone , A little creepy, but mostly useful.
. 6 You can also add a new card to your account. To do this, tap on Add new map and hold your map in the displayed camera window. After the camera has captured your card's information, check your card's expiration date and CVC number.
8. Next, your bank will review your card and you will receive a message that your lock screen is being used for Google Pay. Once you understand that, click the blue button Got It below.
9. Next you are on the screen Check your card . Select where you would like to receive the confirmation number. Depending on your card, you can either have it sent to your email address or to your phone number. When you have selected, tap the Next button. When you receive the number, enter it in the field on the Verification Number screen and tap the Send button.
Set a default card for Google Pay
You can save multiple cards in Google Pay and even set one as the default card.
1. Tap the saved map that you want to set as the default.
2. When the card details screen appears, tap the Standard for Payments in Business slider. It takes about a minute to turn blue. How long exactly? Well, I had enough time to add a nickname for my card (Brewster & # 39; s Millions).
Using Google Pay in stores, restaurants, and ATMs
To use Google Pay in a store or restaurant, look for the wireless payment logo in a registry. It looks like a hand holding a square piece of cheese over a plate of curved hot dogs of increasing length.
When you see the icon, unlock your phone near the cash register (hold it just a few inches away) and Google Pay will open with your standard card. Like Apple Pay, Google Pay usesto connect to a registry.
Paying things on your phone may be new, but Google Pay can do much more. This allows you to pick up money from an ATM using your phone. For example, if you have a Chase debit card linked to Google Pay, you can use it on a Chase ATM with a contactless reader to withdraw money. Of course, you also have to enter your debit card PIN.
Sending and receiving money with Google Pay
However, Google Pay isn't just about using your phone instead of plastic cards. You can send and request cash with friends and family, just like withand cell.
1. To send cash, open the app Messages .
2. Start a new message and tap the + button.
3. From there, tap the pop-up window Google Pay .
4. Tap Next enter the amount you want to send and press the blue button Attach Money .
5. After a few seconds you will see a small square in your message bubble with the amount of money you entered. When you are finished, tap the Send icon.
This process also works for requesting money.
You can also use Gmail to send and request money. It is incredibly easy.
1. Start a new email message and tap the paper clip icon if you are using the Gmail app on your phone, or the $ if you use Gmail through a browser.
2. Next, choose Send Money or Request Money . Enter the amount, add a memo, and then tap Attach Money or Attach Request .
3. Finally send your message.
You can also use Google Pay to send or request money through your browser.
1. Go to pay.google.com and log in.
2. Next, select the Send or Request Money tab .
3. Tap Send Money or Request Money .
4. Enter the amount of money you want to send or request, and then enter a recipient's phone number, email address, or name to retrieve information from their contact card ,
5. Finally, tap Send or Request .
Use Google Pay for websites and apps.
You can also use Google Pay at checkout on websites and apps like Caviar, Starbucks, and Airbnb. If you see the Google Pay icon on a website or in an app, just tap on it at the checkout.
Adding loyalty and gift cards to Google Pay
You can add loyalty cards and gift cards with your Google Pay wallet. For example, I added my. However, a number of retailers are supported, from Starbucks and Walgreens to Ikea and airlines such as United, Delta and American.
1. To add a loyalty or gift card, open the Google Pay app and tap the Passports tab at the bottom of the screen.
2. Then tap the blue button Pass with a + sign.
. 3 Next, choose either Loyalty Program or Gift Card from the pop-up window. When the list of retailers and restaurants appears, choose the company for your card or loyalty program.
4. If you have a gift card, you will be asked to enter the details of the card. With a loyalty program, a camera window is displayed in which you can scan your loyalty membership number. Some companies offer you the option of entering the numbers manually by tapping the button at the bottom of the screen. If you don't have a membership yet, you can sign up for a new account with some companies like sandwich maker Jimmy John’s.
Passports don't work as seamlessly as credit or debit cards, but they can be convenient if you have all your membership and gift cards in one place. This is how you use a gift card or your loyalty membership card.
1. Go to the Passports tab and select the loyalty card you want to use.
2. Next, present the barcode to the cashier for scanning. If your card does not contain a barcode, read your membership number to the cashier.
To sort your customer cards, open the tab Passports . Then tap and hold the card you want to rearrange. Drag it up or down to rearrange it as you like.
Using Google Pay in a transit system
With Google Pay you can also add your transit card to your phone to get on trains, subways and buses. Currently only four urban transportation systems support it:
- The monorail in Las Vegas
- The tram TriMet, C-TRAN and Portland with The Hop in Portland, Oregon
- The MCAT traffic system in Manatee County, Florida  Public transport in Melbourne and parts of Victoria, Australia with the MYKI transit pass
1. To add a transit card, open the Google Pay app and tap the Passports tab at the bottom of the screen.
2. Then tap the blue button Pass with a plus sign.
3. In the pop-up window, select Transit . A screen showing the supported transit systems is displayed. Tap the one you want. Depending on the transit system, you may be directed to a transit website or app to buy your tickets or passports.
To use a passport or ticket, activate your phone. Some transit systems may require you to unlock your phone and select your ticket. Next, hold your phone to the card reader and wait for a blue check mark to appear.
Google Pay and your transaction data
When researching this story, I was curious about the data that Google collects when using Google Pay. I found out that Google may be using data from Google Pay transactions:
- To simplify your Google Pay transactions
- To show you your transaction details and history
- To solve a problem with Google Pay  To provide you with other Google Pay functions
And as simple as that sounds, it is the last one – "other Google Pay functions" – that leaves the door open for targeted ads. However, if you're already a Gmail user, let Google do pretty much the same thing.
Learn more about paying with your phone.