In iOS 14, Apple made some dramatic changes to the iPhone and iPad home screen. In particular, the concept of home screen widgets was introduced.
Previously, the use of widgets was limited to the Today view, which you can access by swiping left to right on the home screen. In “iOS 14” widgets were revised in design and functionality.
A new widget feature is the ability to create widget batches. In widget stacks, multiple widgets can be stacked on top of each other, so you can put all your favorites together and then switch between them.
How to create your own widget stack in “iOS 14”.
- Long press on an empty area of the home screen or on an additional page with apps.
- In jiggle mode, tap the plus sign (+) in the upper left corner of the screen.
- Scroll through the widgets map and press a widget you want to add to your widget stack. Then drag it to the home screen.
- Tap the plus sign (+) again in the corner of the screen.
- Choose another widget to include in your stack. This time, however, drag it directly onto the stack you just added to your home screen.
- Repeat steps 4 and 5 to add additional widgets to your stack.
- Tap Done in the top right corner of the screen when you’re done.
You can swipe up and down on your stack to scroll through the widgets you’ve added, or you can let iOS switch between them automatically.
Note that widgets in the same batch must be the same size. For example, you can’t have a small, medium, and large widget in the same batch.
How to edit a widget batch
If you want to remove a widget from your stack or change the order of its appearance, do the following.
- Long press the stack of widgets you want to edit.
- Choose Edit batch from the pop-up menu.
- To delete a widget from the stack, swipe left on the widget to display it Clear Button.
- To change the order of the widgets, simply drag them up or down using the hamburger icons on the far right.
Note that you can use that Smart Rotate Toggle to control whether iOS will automatically switch them for you regularly.
How to delete a stack of widgets
To delete a widget batch you have created, simply long press on the batch and select Remove the stack from the pop-up menu.