The Halcyon system is now big enough to get lost in. Yesterday, almost a year after the start, The outer worlds got its first big story expansion, Danger to Gorgon. The campaign sends players to a scientific outpost on the edge of the system, the eponymous Gorgon asteroid. There is more Outer worlds: First-person shooting and looting, all embroiled in a stinging satirism of American corporation. If you enjoyed the main game, you will love this expansion.
However, access to this wayward asteroid – and its looting of quests and equipment – isn’t as obvious as you’d think. For one, you have to make it to a certain point in the main campaign to access it. Second, if you go too far, you will be left out. Those wiping off an endgame might be at a loss. So here is what to do:
- First you have to complete the Radio Free Monarch quest, which is a main mission during the game. If you̵
- When you complete this mission you will travel all over Halcyon. You are greeted by an interplanetary delivery company. One of their messengers has a box for you. Accept.
- Find this box in your hold, open it and interact with its contents: a dismembered arm. That should spark a conversation with your crew. Once you are done with that, you can travel to Gorgon and get that Danger to Gorgon Campaign is running.
- Make sure SAM is in your group. There’s no practical reason to bring everyone’s not-so-shiny favorite cleaning machine. I just want to take every opportunity to spread the gospel of Outer worlds‘best companion. Spoil me
Here is what Not do:
- Load your last backup file (presumably one that’s just steps away from the game’s last conversation), start the endgame, go through the dialogue options, sit down through the epilogue, watch the credits roll, and find that you’ve gone through all of this before returning to the main menu, reload the backup file, try different dialog options, and watch the Epilog movie once again, find out it just doesn’t work with that backup file, go through your litany of backup stores, learn that someone else in your household appeared to have performed a second character on your account, and find one of your characters before the final one Area. Charge it up and then hope for the law that everything works.
Seriously, don’t do that. No comment on whether this happened to me or not, but it sure sounds like a lengthy process.
Slight spoilers for the main campaign of The outer worlds.
The catch, in case I wasn’t clear, is that once you’ve started the endgame stretch and traveled to Tartarus, you won’t be able to reach Gorgon. You are involved in this final quest until the end. After you release Phineas from his prison, the game ends and you are returned to the title screen. If you click “Next”, you will simply be transferred to this old storage.
It’s been 11 months since I last played The outer worlds. I totally hid how the game gets you straight into the credits, so it’s a good thing I made about a bazillion backup storage.
If you’ve played an RPG with a branched narrative – by Fail to Mass effect to The witcher – You were probably conditioned to create multiple backup files on the go. The outer worlds is no different. In fact, the game itself will ask you to create another manual save before going to Tartarus so there is a chance that you will be excluded from the game Danger to Gorgon DLC is imperceptibly small. Anyway, take my advice and save yourself 11 minutes and 47 seconds of frustration.