The Red Cross in ] Australia comes under fire from at least one local politician who has distributed only a quarter of the money for bushfire victims to their homes have lost. Approximately $ 20.5 million of the $ 78.7 million ($ 30 million or $ 115 million in Australian currency) recently donated to the Australian Red Cross by the public awarded to people who were previously affected by the Bushfire crisis. And some people say that is not enough.
"The money is now needed because it is not in a Red Cross bank account that earns interest so that they can plan their next three years and do their marketing," said Andrew, a politician in New South Wales Konstanz said Australia ABC News .
“We need a very real change, very quickly, so that the money reaches those who need it most. […] The people are on their knees and we cannot have any drip food. "
The bush fire crisis killed at least 29 people in Australia and destroyed thousands of houses and some people in Subcamps left behind while awaiting help from the government or from charities such as the Red Cross  Australian Red Cross spokeswoman Susan Cullinan denied alleging that she had held back money, and told Gizmodo in an email on Wednesday : "About $ 30 million [Australian] will be made available to affected communities for immediate relief. "
The Red Cross initially informed Gizmodo that we were" pretty wrong "after asking for the exact amount had already been allocated. But the restoration agency ultimately did not contest the numbers reported by ABC News .
“Thirty million for immediate needs and, apart from a relatively small amount raised before the bushfires, the rest will go towards recovery for at least three years in bushfighted communities. When the world's attention turns away and the story is told by locals, you don't feel left behind, ”Cullinan told Gizmodo.
The Red Cross sent Gizmodo a long press release about the work they had done and found that the organization ] has so far issued hundreds of grants to people in need (in Australian dollar currency):
We have already committed $ 30 million to meet people's immediate needs with $ 10,000 in emergency grants to those whose homes have been destroyed. We have already paid 559 scholarships and are completing hundreds more. In addition, a $ 20,000 mourning payment is now available to relatives of people in need due to their unmet needs, including funeral expenses and related costs. This is just the beginning. If we are clear about what people need and what others offer, we will work for more support. We work on it every day.
The air in some major cities in Australia is so polluted that it is difficult to breathe at all whereby at least two people die from respiratory diseases that are directly related to the fires. And unfortunately there are at least two months in the fire season before things can cool down. Fortunately, conservative politicians in Australia no longer deny that climate change is fueling the crisis. It remains to be seen whether they will act against the worst .
Anyone who has lost a home for the bushfires in Australia since July 2019 can contact the Red Cross to receive grants at redcross.org.au/grants or by phone at 1800 727 077. According to the Red Cross, scholarships are valid until April 30, 2020.
If you have experience with the Red Cross in Australia that you want to tell us about, you can send an email to email@example.com.