Hello and welcome back to Equity, TechCrunch’s venture capital-focused podcast (now on Twitter!) Where we unpack the numbers behind the headlines.
The entire crew was back, Natasha Mascarenhas and Danny Crichton and I chatting, and Chris Gates was turning the dials behind the scenes as always. This week has been a real team effort as we’re heading to Disrupt – more here, see you there – but there was still a lot of news.
So here is what we have:
- AngelList doubles its rolling funds and drives that SaaS revenue into the company, which also invests in the the rolling funds. So that̵
- Edtech stayed hot this week as Byju raised $ 500 million from Silver Lake. Founded in 2011, Byju’s is the most valuable edtech company we can think of. It is valued at $ 10.8 billion.
- Speaking of Silver Lake, the group has just poured $ 1 billion into part of the Reliance empire, this time into Reliance Retail. And we talked about JioMart, which is taking over both Flipkart and Amazon in the country.
- Next up were two companies with names starting with “S” that have raised $ 100 million over the past week, namely Snyk – more here – and Sprinklr – more here.
- On our S topic, Slack’s earnings were incredibly interesting. The company’s quarter received no praise from investors and some negative COVID impacts have been noted that could affect startups as well.
- And another S company: Snowflake. We were all a-twitter about the company’s new valuation range and the fact that Damn Berkshire Hathaway is going to invest in him. This is wild! What a thing!
- Finally, we did a quick Palantir update when we went public. Danny has the latest here.
We packed ourselves with everything that was at least good for a laugh. We’re back to Disrupt next week, so see you all there!
Equity goes down every Monday at 7:00 a.m. and Thursday afternoon as fast as we can get it out. So subscribe to us on Apple Podcasts, Covered, Spotify and all casts.