Dolby has announced that the Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S will support Dolby Vision for gaming in 2021. While the Xbox One X supported Dolby Vision, this was only intended for media playback.
Dolby Vision is a form of HDR that offers better highlights and deeper black levels. It is supported on TVs such as the LG OLED range. Samsung does not currently support Dolby Vision as it has chosen to use HDR10 +.
DOLBY VISION FEATURES
- Up to 40x brighter highlights and 10x deeper blacks bring fiery explosions and the deep emptiness of space to life.
- Deep, saturated colors appear on the screen and transport you into lush magical forests to devastate war zones.
- More contrast and color show more detail and texture. Look in the shadows, scan the horizon, and pick out enemies in disguise before it̵
- Dolby Vision games are automatically mapped to your Dolby Vision display as you play, so you always see the full picture.
Introduction of the next level of play.
The Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S are the first consoles with games in Dolby Vision® (available soon) and Dolby Atmos® (available at launch).
?? @ Xbox, welcome to playing in Dolby. https://t.co/5lkpVT8ntb
– Dolby (@Dolby) September 10, 2020